Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Professional

I have always looked at other Land Surveyors as colleagues.  The reason for this is I believe that in a utopic world all Land Surveyors should have an open dialog with each other.  If a colleague can complete a project at a fee lower than mine so be it.  To me this is not competition.  Now of course this is based on the assumption that all Land Surveyors are playing by the same rules.  If they are not; then action must be taken.  The minimum standards are the benchmark.  So the standard of practice starts there.

So when it comes to participating in a professional association I have generally experienced a positive membership. As colleagues we should participate in an association as a means of giving information from and getting information to other Land Surveyors.  The association can be a great way to do this.  

The word professional implies that the person who bares this title has; education in a specialized field, standards, and ethics.  I have  met a few people in my travels that were self proclaimed professionals that lacked one, two or all three of these traits.  If we are to proclaim ourselves as professionals then we have got to take responsibility for our actions both in and out of surveying.  If we consider ourselves as professionals then we have the responsibility to be a professional 24-7.  Not just at association meetings.  As professionals we should not be cutting each other off at the knees and trying to put the other RLS out of business.  

When I became a father I figured out early that my children were watching and learning from me even when I wasn't trying to teach them.  They observe my every move and take note how I react in different situations.  I am of the opinion that the general public observes the Land Surveying Profession the same way.  So they observe our antics both good and bad and formulate opinions.  Yet we as a profession have a tendency to go the extra mile showing  the public how good we can be at poaching each other.  

In closing I want to say; we cannot improve, we cannot move forward; we cannot grow without opening the door to the closet that holds the dark secrets we harbor and shed light on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment