Monday, September 24, 2012

Be Firm and Positive

OK so my dealings with the "Peoples Republic of Gila County" has ended on a somewhat positive note.  It appears the plat I sent with the attached letter made an impression as it was recorded the day it was received.  Here is what I did:

1. I sent it, certified mail return receipt requested.  That way I could prove when they received it.
2. I included my check and a letter citing the Arizona Revised Statutes 11-471, 11-477, 11-481.

So I got my point across.  However I want to point something out that we all need to keep in mind.  At no time; even in the height of my anger did I loose my cool and become loud or abusive.  Nor did I use profanity.  We need to keep in mind we are professionals and when should never treat colleagues, clients, government employees or anyone else that may or may noy qualifiy to be a human beings; poorly or with bad manners intentionally.  The only reason I got them to listen to me is because I never got abussive with gesture or language.  This is important.

The County Recorder and Community Development Department are our friends.  Yes they can go astray sometimes but we need a good working relationship with them.  Just as they need us.  I am still pursuing the issue but on much easier terms.  I drove my point home and it stuck.  Now I will set out to make sure other surveyors don't have to do the same.

Viva la SALSA

2 comments:

  1. Good show, Dan. We have found that we may go three steps back but we get the occasional step forward when we are persistent and civil.

    Cheers your way,

    J.O.

    Viva La SALSA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, way to go indeed !!! - I won't mention any names, but a Civil Engineer I work with was not getting anywhere with the City over a plan review problem. My friend was yelling and called him an A$$hole and stormed out before he got arrested. To this day, "Mr. Plan Reviewer" still remembers him quite well. To this day he can't seem to get anything through without 15 sets of comments...

    The way you handled this situation is by far the essence of Professionalism.

    Like J.O. said - 1 step forward...

    Best,

    Dane

    ReplyDelete