Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Guns Guns Guns

You might say that one of the endearing things about the extreme eastern side of Arizona is it is far removed from everything.  Not isolated; but removed.  People stay to themselves and that makes it easy to hide in the wide open.  Western Catron County in New Mexico is the same way.  So you might say there is a geographic corridor that the remoteness lends itself to a variety of activities.

In one instance I had a nervous encounter with an unlicensed pharmacist who became very nervous at my presence and was holding a mini-14.  Luckily for me I made light of the situation and got him talking so he wouldn't shoot me.

In  another instance I came across an elderly lady who was convinced I was a spy from the government and held me in place by having me look down the bore of a .44 caliber hand cannon she was to weak to pull the hammer back on.  I got her talking to and she finally got tired holding the pistol.

And finally, I found out early that when a bullet goes by it does not make the same sound they do in the movies.  And when they hit stuff; it merely sounds like a smack or thud.  As an added bonus when the shooter is a long way off shooting at your truck you hear the smack of the bullet on the body of truck before you hear the report of the rifle.

I have been fortunate and have always came out on the better end of these deals but now that I am no longer ten feet tall and bullet proof; I am beginning to wonder if my luck will run out.  After the pharmacist in New Mexico; I decided to get my concealed carry permit.  Not because I like carrying a gun but because most people outside the military service go all their lives without being drawn on or shot at.  I have been shot at; and drawn on twice and in all cases I was there with my rod in my hand.

This last case with the pharmacist also made me think that he was really gonna do me in until I convinced him I was "cool" and didn't "see" a thing.  His nervousness made me nervous.  He also made me think about how many times he had put me in the cross hairs before I approached the mobile home.  I don't feel comfortable being confronted with my own mortality.

Its different when you go into a place and pick a fight and the fight escalates.  You went looking for trouble and you found it.  When I am out surveying I  am not looking for trouble.  I approach land owners to let them know what I am doing and why I am there.  I don't approach them to have them get twitchy and shoot at me.

So now I have a dilemma; I have been exposed to gun play have been able to calm things down and walk out of it.  If I start packing; I can't help but wonder; will that make things better or worse?  In the situations I have been in; the guy shooting at the truck was so far off we just hid till he stopped.  The pharmacist; was the one that made me wish I was carrying.  He was stoned, paranoid, and nervous; that bothered me.  I don't know when I will meet another shade tree pharmacist but I don't want to be the last man standing when the music stops.

1 comment:

  1. I would at least have a pistola, shotgun or such in the truck. And in your case, it is probably a good idea to have the conceal license. I have a friend in West Virginia who says that the bootlegging is now in meth and things get pretty strange up in those hills. He won't go in without a sidearm and at least one more guy on the crew.

    You know when it is necessary. Two guys that have a company here pack a sidearm all the time. It is pretty ludicrous, particularly when they are in town. And folks feel pretty damned uneasy. But, they are not the type to ever take the time to ask these questions. I fear that the pharmacist is going to be a more regular occurrence. But, had you been packing would he have just gone ballistic. Who knows?

    Cheers,
    J.O.

    ReplyDelete