Monday, December 2, 2013

When to ignore a monument accessory

I have been working on several posting jobs for the forest service.  I have been noticing something in the Payson area that I did not expect.  The bearing trees when measured from side center or face (more on that later) do fit the record call.  The BT is there the stone is there; the bearing and distance is questionable. 

So when I move to another HES corner; the stone is missing.  There is a fence corner an one of the BT's of record.  Also the HES was subdivided.  First I checked the BT to the fence corner and it was close.  Within a trash can lid.  The lot corners I recovered all pointed to the fence post with a probable area of about a quarter.  Well the answer was obvious;..........................

I used to be of the frame of mind that the manual was gospel and there was no deviation.  Here lately I have discovered that subsequent lot corner may be a better accessory than a bearing tree.

 More about the side center vs. face of blaze.  In some circles this oddity is well known. Most surveyors under 50 don't know that in many parts of Arizona; mineral surveyors were also contracting with the forest service and GLO.  In so doing it is not uncommon to find bearing trees on HES corners that are measured to the face of the blaze.  This is the rule for mineral surveys; however for PLSS work; the side center is the rule.

In my case neither worked so I noted it and moved on... 

No comments:

Post a Comment