Thursday, May 22, 2014

Getting Involved

I was told early on in my career that the Land Surveyor was generally speaking held in high regard within the community.  This was probably true in a time when most of the country was illiterate.  I have noticed that the average land surveyor want to live in amenity.  They don't want to be noticed unless somebody is giving them money.  Unfortunately this is a terrible business model. 

I was in a fraternity while at NMSU.  The fraternity was not you typical "Animal House" environment.  We had to maintain a minimum GPA, and had to participate in philanthropy.  This experience was excellent although at the time I didn't know why.

When I moved back to Springerville, I began working to build a business.  In this area word of mouth is THE primary source of advertisement.  I also began to see a need for involvement.  Primarily my involvement was in interests that my daughters were/are tied to.  Little League Sports; dance; cheer; School etc.  As I began to get involved I realized that people were starting to notice I had moved home and the phone started to ring.  Then the Community leadership started seeking me out for advise on land issues.  Long story short; being involved in your community is the best way to advertise and get recognized as a professional and businessman.  Sitting in the office and wondering why the phone isn't ringing is not going to do it.  Placing adds in the newspaper or phone book with everyone else won't separate you from the pack.  Community involvement does.  Getting out there and using the deductive reasoning skilled gained from our experiences and applying them in the community outside of surveying gets you noticed.  Being a grouchy hermit does not.

My 2 cents anyway.

1 comment: