Friday, April 6, 2012

More About Conferences

I generally try to attend the APLS annual conference.  They are a good chance to pick up some refresher courses and get in touch with other Land Surveyors.  I enjoy them.  The courses generally provide information that I had over looked or not considered and at times can be eye opening.  As I get older in this profession though I have noticed that some of the courses are the same from year to year.  I try not to repeat them but often times find myself sitting in just for comfort.  This has to stop.  The old stand by classes can be entertaining but I find myself hearing the same ole same ole.  This is my fault for not getting outside my comfort sone and I guess we all do it from time to time.

This year I am going to try to broaden my horizons and attend courses that I ordinarily wouldn't bother with.  I encourage other to do the same if you find yourself in the same position I am.  APLS has for the most part been pretty good at putting together a conference that has much to offer.  It is me who doesn't take advantage of it.  At times I have been critical of the conference courses because I have not seen course work I am comfortable with.  Again my fault.  So this year I am going about things differently.

What I really enjoy is seeing friends from around the state that I normally don't see.  The conference gives us a chance to sit down over a beer and catch up.  Sometimes I find myself relating more to the guys I have met by hanging around my father.  I love to sit at the table with him and some of the older gentlemen and listen to the tales that always come up.  This is an excellent opportunity for the young Land Surveyors to learn some tricks, learn some history, and learn some procedural stuff that isn't taught in the class room.  These often times turn into round table discussions that can get heated.  Those are the best.  Not because I enjoy conflict but because I enjoy listening to the different approaches to solving a problem.  Normally dad will bring up an issue that starts the sparks and then the lesson starts.  I am going to be dismayed when these guys hang it up and enjoy full retirement.  Mainly because so much knowledge will be lost and not shared.  It is unusual to see me sitting with them and getting in fray to the casual observer. However many of these guys watched me grow up in this profession and they let me participate.  Anyone is welcome to sit and listen; but I caution participation unless you sit down with your "A" game.  Otherwise these guys can get rough.  The group I am talking about are gentlemen whom some have referred to as "ass in the grass" surveyors.  They can be  intolerant, brash, and down right abusive when they want to.  But man the education; the pain is well worth it. Having dealt with it most of my career I am numb; but some take offense.  They don't want to talk about accuracy vs. precision.  They don't want to talk about the latest survey toys.  Generally they want to talk about analysis, procedure and often times issues with the PLSS.  These are the best conversations to listen to.  So I encourage the conferences because I liken them to the rendezvous the mountain men used to gather for.  Where tricks and information is shared and the real lessons can be learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment